History of the Library

The Fort Recovery Public Library began as a "Reading Room" on the corner of Wayne and Butler streets in 1928. It was the first project of the newly organized Business and Professional Womens' Club, with many community members contributing books and magazines from their personal collections. Hazel Hoke served as the first Librarian.

From 1938 to 1968, the library was housed at the State Park Site on Fort Site Street in the Library Museum Building. In 1965, the Jetter Building on North Wayne Street was purchased and after extensive renovation the first floor was dedicated on June 30, 1968.

In 1983, the need for more space once again presented itself, and after discussing many ideas, renovation on the second story began.  An elevator was added to the structure to enhance access for all patrons. The re-opening was held during the annual Christmas Open House in November.

In early 1997, the library added access to the internet through OPLIN, Ohio Public Library Information Network.  Computers have replaced the card catalog system and several computers are available now for public use.

Fort Recovery Friends of the Library was launched in June 2004. This organization sponsors the Festival of Trees, Used Book Sales, Scholastic Book Sales, Craft Days, and Book Clubs. The purpose of this organization is to support the Fort Recovery Library as it strives to encourage literacy, lifelong learning, and the love of reading throughout the community, and also enhance the library's resources, increase the community's access to information and knowledge, and provide for a community gathering place.

Today, while no structural changes have taken place, the library has continued to make internal changes to enhance public access and opportunities. The library is now part of the SEO (Serving Every Ohioan) Library consortium, which gives patrons access to materials in libraries throughout Ohio. Patrons can access books, movies, music CDs, audiobooks and digital content.


Source URL: https://www.fortrecoverylibrary.org/history